EU product labeling
You are invited to an online conference
EU Rules on labeling of products from “Occupied Palestinian Territories” – Consumer protection or foreign policy?
Date: 10 December 2020
Time: 7.00 – 9.15 PM CET (Amsterdam)
European Union policy is that all the territory ‘outside the Green Line’ – including what is known as ‘East Jerusalem’ – does not belong to Israel, that a Palestinian state should be built on that territory, and that Israeli “settlements” are illegal. It requires products imported from those territories to clearly indicate these “facts”. Already several European importers of wines from these territories have been punished. But are these indeed true? And do these requirements comply with international law?
This webinar is intended for a global audience, including lawyers, journalists and policy makers. We will look at the status of the “Occupied Palestinian Territories” under international law and discuss the EU’s labeling policy regarding products from these territories in the light of international law. The speakers are recognised experts in this field, including Adv. Jonathan Turner (UK), Prof. Eugene Kontorovich (Israel/US) and Dr. Mark Goldfeder (US).
- Introduction: Labeling of wines from the OPT; the cases of Psagot Wineries (F) and Israel Products Centre (NLD) – Andrew Tucker, thinc.
- Background: the status of the “occupied territories” and “settlements” under international law – Dr. Matthijs de Blois, thinc.
- The new US policy concerning labeling of products from Judea and Samaria; is it in line with international law? – Dr. Mark Goldfeder, Emory University Law School, US
- Europe’s labeling policy: what is it and where does it come from? – Andrew Tucker, thinc.
Intermezzo: The Legal Network Initiative – Adv. Yifa Segal
Session 2 Labeling of products from settlements in “Occupied Palestinian Territories”
- Are the EU labeling rules discriminatory? – Prof. Eugene Kontorovich, George Mason University, US
- When are labels misleading? – Adv. Jonathan Turner, UK Lawyers for Israel
- Impact of the EU labeling policy on the relations with Israel – Lukas Mandl, Member of the European Parliament
Both sessions will be concluded with a Q&A session.
Support our work>
This webinar comes to you free of charge. If you feel that our initiative is worthy of your support, you are kindly invited to make a donation. Your support is deeply appreciated – and very much needed!>